Most schools find this happens when a second child starts school and instead of using the file that is already there for the contact, they create a new one. If this isn’t corrected the user concerned would have to have two Weduc login’s, one to see child A’s details and the other login to see Child B’s.
To correct this in Sims:
1. Go to the contacts search (Focus>person>contact) and search on the surname. You should then see the parent listed twice, with the same address. Go into the first contact file and see who the associated pupil is in section 4, then check the same area in contact file 2. Decide which contact file you want to keep by making the file look different. (Perhaps a couple of ** at the end of the surname).
2. On the record you have decided not to keep select the student(s) at section 4 and delete them, this will remove the association from the student's record.
3. Go back to Browse and select the contact you are keeping (refresh the search to show the change to the name above), go to section 4 and select New, search for the child(s) surname and add in the correct one make sure to add in parental responsibility, Mother/Father, Contact Priority 1 etc. as you would usually do.
4. The last thing to do is to make sure you have all of the contact details correct for the contact, so we suggest checking email addresses and phone numbers etc. from the file you are no longer going to be using to the one you are. When you are happy that you have the details and all students are listed under the associated pupil area for one of the duplicate parent files only, you can then remove the **.
5. You can clean up the duplicated contacts in SIMS by going to Tools > Housekeeping > delete unlinked contacts